Sharjah Economic Development Department (SEDD): Sharjah Economic Development Department (SEDD) in its new beachheads of open communication and interaction with you through renewed channels, in line with our vision, our identity and values stemming from the teachings of our Islamic religion in our daily dealings with others.
About Department of Economic Development
In April of 1981, His Highness Dr. Sheikh Sultan Bin Mohammed Al-Qasimi, member of the Supreme Council, Ruler of the Emirate of Sharjah, issued the Amiri Decree No.18 establishing “The Economic Department”, and thus founded the first local economic department in the history of the United Arab Emirates. This Department was to take over the local authority for the application of federal laws related to economic affairs, as well as the application of local decrees and orders related to the economy of the Emirate.
According to the decree mentioned above the Department was established and included the following sections:
- Commercial Registration Section
- Companies Section
- Planning, Research and Statistics Section
Functions of the Department
Preparing and implementing the economic plans in the Emirate.
Conducting researches and modernizing investing systems for the proper use of the resources in the Emirate. Facilitating investment.
Representing the Ministry of Economy as a competent authority in the application of federal economic laws.
Issuing licenses for the practice of economic activities and controlling the application of economic performance and bettering investment climate as well as making recommendations on federal laws. Collecting and analyzing statistics and conducting economic studies.
Services of the Department
Licensing Services :
- Renewing and issuing licenses
- Sales and Clearance.
- Promotional Campaigns.
- Advertising Signs.
- Business Booths.
- Trade fairs and Conferences.
- Additional Activities
Inspection Services and Business Control:
- Irregularities Inquiry.
- Fee payment of irregularities .
- Scheduling appointments for Technical evaluations.
Trade Name Issuance
It is the first step to issue the license. The service includes trade name, activity, partners’ names, type of license and the legal status of the facility.
Trade Name Requirement
The trade name must have an Arabic meaning, with the exception of:
• Names of branches of foreign companies registered abroad
• Names of company branches, whether local or foreign. Names that are not allowed to be registered:
• Names and attributes of His Majesty unless it is a compound personal name
• The names of international (famous) companies unless the name is for a branch
• Names of local, Arab, and international bodies, institutions, and organizations
• Names that conflict with the trademarks registered in the country unless the applicant is authorized to use them
• Names that contradict public order and morals in the country
• Names that are ambiguous or similar to registered names or that lead to misleading the public. It is not permissible to choose the names of important landmarks in the country, including but not limited to:
(Emirates – Abu Dhabi – Dubai – Sharjah – Ajman – Umm al-Quwain – Ras al-Khaimah – Fujairah – Burj Khalifa – Zabeel – Al Wasl) and may not be chosen also in case it is associated with (city or village) and it is not permissible to choose the following names: Olympic – Union – Zulal – Al-Arsa – Modern – New – Arabic – Al Qasba
• Licensing form
• Investor registration form
• Security approval for investors
• A copy of the investor’s valid passport and identity and residence card for non-nationals
• A duly attested no-objection letter for the non-investor (if required)
• Permission to trade for a minor under 21 years of age, if necessary
• The approval of the official authorities due to the commercial activity
• The presence of the relationship owner or his legal representative
• An acknowledgment and undertaking form by the investor that he does not work in any governmental or federal entity in the Emirate of Sharjah in the event that the investor has more than ten licenses.
Trade name issue 250 AED
Translated trade name issue 1250 AED
Foreign trade name issue 2250 AED
Trade name booking fee 1000AED